4.23.2009

Earth Day Gift.




















Matt came home from work with a little Earth Day surprise for me. Two beautiful Bougainvillea plants. I had mentioned that I wanted to plant a tree on Earth Day, but truthfully planting something, anything is better than nothing at all. Bougainvillea are one of my favorite plants ever! I recently visited my good friends Christina and Steven who just bought their first home and Christina was explaining how her "Boug." plants were driving her crazy b/c of their thorns. And yes, you don't want to get too close or fall into one! But when they are full grown either as a hedge, bush or up a fence, in my opinion there is nothing as cheerful! I love the variety of tropical colors they come in. But before I go any further, I have to admit that last spring Matt and I planted 4 Boug. plants, in the hot pink/magenta color. I either did something wrong, or it was the freeze that lead to their demise. But it's a NEW DAY, and a fresh start. So here's hoping! I first fell in love with them, at my Mom's old house (on Country Club Lane). She had the more gorgeous, enormous Boug. plant. It had grown up the side of the patio and then grew over to the detached garage. It was so big, it created a tunnel that you walked under to go up the stairs to the "apt" above the garage. Unfortunately, one of the terrible hurricanes 4 years (I think) ago destroyed it. But it was magnificent. We do have a lasting memento of the beautiful backyard scene in my sisters condo in Chicago. I painted a small painting of it as a gift for my sis. Also, on our honeymoon in St. Lucia in the West Indies last year...they were EVERYWHERE! So I will forever think of our glorious honeymoon when I see a Bougainvillea plant.

chw oxxo




2 comments:

MCD said...

Awww I love this post what a sweet hubby!

Anonymous said...

Is your bathroom finished yet? Time to post pics on the blog! : ) I'm sure it's gorgeous!